Medical Outcomes Study 36-item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36)
Main reference: Ware JJ, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Medical Care 30:473–83, 1992.
Type: Questionnaire.Main indications: Designed to assess physical and mental health.
Rating performed by: Trained interviewer.
Time period covered by scale: Clinical condition at the time of the assessment, with some comparison to the clinical condition 12 months ago.
Time required to complete rating: 10–15 minutes.
Remarks: Assesses eight health domains:
- Physical functioning
- Limitations in social activities caused by physical or emotional problems
- Limitations in usual-role activities because of physical health problems
- Bodily pain
- General mental health (psychological distress and well-being)
- Limitations in usual-role activities because of emotional problems
- Vitality (energy and fatigue)
- General health perceptions
Older people are less likely to provide a complete questionnaire. A shorter version (HSQ12) is available which maps on to the same health domains.
Published on CNSforum 19 Dec 2004